Eikon is an award-winning registered charity based in north Surrey, which is looking to recruit an additional Trustee to serve the aims and objectives of the organisation and to help shape its future.
Eikon’s vision is to transform the futures of young people by providing support and challenge through their pivotal teenage years. We currently work particularly in the boroughs of Woking, Elmbridge, Runnymede, Waverley, Surrey Heath and Spelthorne, but deliver some support across the whole county and beyond.
Eikon provides a range of opportunities and programmes in schools and in the community that are tailored to meet the needs of the young people. We aim to encourage resilience, well-being and personal growth in all who participate. We can demonstrate positive outcomes in confidence, emotional well-being, skills and educational achievement. See www.eikon.org.uk for more information.
Eikon passionately believes in the relational model we have developed for delivering our services. We have a good reputation and have developed strong partnerships with local authorities and other statutory agencies, including the local NHS Trust responsible for mental health services.
Vacancy for a Trustee with financial expertise
We are seeking a Trustee (who need not necessarily live in Surrey) who can bring the following skills and experience:
• Financial advice: Whilst financial governance is a major responsibility of the Board of Trustees as a whole, we have a Finance Trustee, Kevin Young, who assists the Board in its duty to supervise the direction of the Charity’s financial affairs and provides support to the Chair and Chief Executive on financial management. We now need a second Trustee with expertise in finance, as well as strong generalist expertise, to work with Kevin and deputise for him if needed. It is not envisaged that this would require more than occasional meetings.
• Contribute to the governance of Eikon as an active member of the Trustee Board, including
- Setting and maintaining vision, mission and values
- Developing Eikon’s strategy
- Establishing and monitoring policies
- Ensuring compliance with the law and Charity Commission guidance
- Maintaining fiscal oversight
- Acting as an ambassador for Eikon
• Supporting Eikon’s fundraising through personal networks, attendance at events etc.
• Time and energy to contribute to overseeing and supporting the development of the charity’s work.
The Board meets five times a year in the evenings, and an Awayday is held annually with the senior management team. Other Board business is undertaken mainly by email with occasional conference calls. The Board has an Audit and Finance Committee which meets at least annually, as well as a Governance and Risk Committee and a Fundraising Committee.
What happens next?
- Please apply formally by letter referring to the skills and experience required, together with a CV and details of two referees.
- Applicants will be interviewed by a panel consisting of the Chair, Chief Executive and possibly one other Trustee, on a mutually convenient date
- A DBS check will be undertaken after the interview
Jenny Griffiths OBE (Chair of Trustees) on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01420 84655/ 07813 594306
Kevin Young (Finance Trustee) on Kevin.Young@eikon.org.uk or 07887 633209
Chris Hickford (Chief Executive) on Chris.Hickford@eikon.org.uk or 01932 347434.